Man Raped Wife And Daughter In Nightmare Attack

Sydney Morning Herald

Saturday March 18, 2006

Edmund Tadros

IT WAS "every person's worst nightmare", a horrific crime that shattered a family.

In the early hours of January 21, 2004, Shane Martin and a group of about six men broke into a house in Sydney's north-west looking for a stash of money and cannabis.

They scoured the Glenorie home while the occupants, a man, his wife, their 16-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son, and another man were asleep.

While others removed cannabis plants, Martin, 26, and another man dragged the husband, mother and daughter out of bed and tied them up.

Martin then raped the husband's wife and daughter in front of him, badly injuring the girl.

The husband jumped through a bathroom window to distract Martin and his accomplice but the pair gave chase, and the accomplice struck him with a machete, slicing through the bone in his left arm.

Martin, 26, of Revesby, was yesterday sentenced to a minimum of 25 years' jail in the NSW District Court at Parramatta.

Martin had pleaded guilty to aggravated breaking and entering, two counts of aggravated sexual assault, deprivation of liberty and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Sentencing Martin, the judge, Roy Ellis, said: "Those offences, occurring as they did in the sanctity of one's own home, could be described as every person's worst nightmare."

The judge said Martin came from a broken family, had a long criminal history and said he was a "loner by nature, with few friends".

He was also a heavy drug user. He had started off smoking cannabis when he was 13, but by the time he was 23 he was taking ecstasy and amphetamines daily. He had been at 20 schools.

Martin's barrister, Linda McSpedden, said her client had been using crystal meth for eight or nine months before the crime and it might have damaged his brain.

Judge Ellis said Martin's victims were still deeply traumatised.

The father and mother also had the "perfectly natural" feeling of guilt over the rape of their daughter.

All members of the family had trouble sleeping, the family were distant from each other and they were experiencing financial problems because the father was unable to work.

The daughter had been particularly devastated by the attack. She suffered panic attacks, had no social life, had "difficulty forming relationships and trusting people" and was on medication to treat depression. She has also lost an apprenticeship because she was unable to work.

The judge said the original plan had been to steal the cannabis only, but Martin "became aroused once [the mother and daughter] were stripped".

"Force was used, weapons were used, not simply presented, there was, in this court's view, rather gratuitous violence," he said.

Martin had been diagnosed with an anti-social personality disorder but did not suffer from a mental illness.

The judge accepted Martin's drug use might have "exacerbated" his personality disorder, going "some way to explaining this conduct although not at all justifying it".

Martin had a history of violent behaviour, Judge Ellis said.

His sentence will be backdated to March 15, 2004, when he was first in custody. He will be eligible for parole in 2029.

© 2006 Sydney Morning Herald

Back to News Index | Back to Home

News Archive

2009

2008

2007

2006

2005

2004

2003